LIBC Annual Beekeeping Classes
Beekeeping 101: January 12th, 2019
- Class completed
Beekeeping 102: February 9th, 2019
- A class designed for beekeepers with at least 1 or 2 years of experience but, who want to further their education.
- Topics include: Why did I lose my hive?, Spring Management/Readiness, Varroa Monitoring and treatment, Swarm prevention and bait boxes, Queen evaluation and replacement, Making splits and nucs, Supering for nectar flow and honey harvesting, the Beekeeper's year.
- The recommended book for this class is "Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping" by Dewey Caron. This book is not provided and not mandatory, but recommended to further your beekeeping knowledge.
- Instructors are Long Island Beekeepers Club members. There will be time allotted to ask questions in the “break out” sessions.
- The class will be held at the Brush Barn in Smithtown. Doors open at 8:30 and instruction will start at 9:00 am, with the day ending approximately 2:00 pm.
- Coffee and bagels will be available. Bring a bag lunch if desired.
- Attendees must be members of the Long Island Beekeepers Club.
- The cost of the class is $40. If you're not currently an LIBC member, you can join for one year and sign up for the class for a total of $75.
- Pay by PayPal (below) or send a check made out to LIBC to: Grace Mehl, 24 Mobrey Lane, Smithtown, NY 11787.
- Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
LIBC Ongoing Beekeeping Classes
Master Beekeeper Rich Blohm
Classes officially begin in September and are held on the first Tuesday of each month for 12 months. We normally meet at the Huntington Historical Barn. The classes are from 7 PM to 9 PM. Class size is limited to 25 participants.
Contact Rich Blohm at email@example.com or 631-271-7812.
Master Beekeeper Moira Alexander
Starting September 4th, 2018, we will meet once a month on the grounds of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The address is 1725 Brentwood Road, Brentwood.
Enter the grounds and follow wooden sign that says “Garden.” Class will be held in the Honey House.
The door will open at 6:45 and classes will start promptly at 7pm and end at 8:30pm.
- Must be a member of the Long Island Bee Club ($35). I want you to belong to the local group of beekeepers.
- Buy a yearly subscription to Bee Culture ($24)
- I want you to read monthly articles that span all levels of understanding and keeping bees…
- A copy of "The Beekeeper’s Handbook (4th Edition)" by Diana Sammataro. Read Chapters 1 and 2 prior to class.
- Buy a notebook that will be dedicated to your beekeeping journey this year. I want you to reflect after a year how much you have learned.
- Class fee $125 for 11 sessions (PLEASE write "bee class" in memo line of the check)
EAS Master Beekeeper